Finding the best American Bully names is a difficult task if you have recently bought or adopted one.
The breed is known for its Pitbull-like, muscular physique but the temperament is rather more sedate, making American Bullies wonderful household companions.
There are plenty of naming conventions to consider for American Bullies. Whether you like food names, cute names, or human names, the pool of options is vast.
When choosing a name for an American Bully you need to consider whether it is an easy name to say for all the family and whether you’re comfortable shouting it out in public.
Ideally, you want your Bully to quickly grasp its name while also not being that idiot screaming a ridiculous dog name in a busy park.
We’re here to help you navigate this challenge by presenting some tips, naming groups, and also some of our favorite American Bully names.
American Bully Breed
The American Bully breed originated in the US in the 1980s when breeders sought to create a dog breed that had the muscular physique of a Pitbull, combined with a tamer temperament.
American Bullies were created by mixing an American Pitbull Terrier with an American Staffordshire Terrier and was recognized by the American Bully Kennel Club (AKBC) in 2004.
In recent years, the breed has become increasingly popular across the globe. High-quality breeding programs and a temperament that suits modern city dwellers have bolstered its popularity.
Tips For Naming Your American Bully
Finding a perfect name for your American Bully can be tricky. This name is what you’ll likely shout every day for 12 years so you want to get it right.
Before thinking about the perfect name, we have some tips to help you choose the best name for your Bully.
- Find a name between 1 and 3 syllables long – you want a name that is quick and easy to say. This makes it easier for both yourself and your dog.
- Avoid names that are too long or short – don’t burden your dog by calling it a ridiculously long name. American Bully best respond to shorter, snappier names as it will catch their attention better and also be easier to learn.
- Don’t use common words – although you are unlikely to call your name Sit or Jump, avoiding words that are commonly used as instructions to your dog should be considered as they may confuse the action with their name which can in turn make them harder to train.
- Don’t go for the classic dog names – names such as Buster or Bella are very common names for dogs. When you go to a park and call that name, another dog may soon come your way. Try and avoid this occurrence by thinking of an original name that is less likely to be taken by adopters.
- Originality and creativity – these concepts are key to finding the perfect dog name. You want a name that not many dog owners use while also being creative to pick a unique name. Creativity does encourage an open book. However, you should remain respectful at the same time. Be wary of how words can be translated or affect certain communities as you want to avoid publicly calling a name that can offend someone.
- Easy pronunciation and understanding – pick a name that you and the whole family can say. This will ensure a strong family-dog communication channel. Names that are easy to pronounce will also be easily recognized by an American Bully as they will respond to the consistency.
- Avoid aggressive names – American Bullies have been unfairly tarnished with the brush of being an aggressive dog breed. This is due to the Pitbull ancestry which was synonymous with being aggressive show dogs taking part in sports such as baiting and ratting. While the American Bully has the aggressive, muscular look of a Pitbull, it has a very calm, lovable temperament. As many still stereotype the American Bully as an aggressive dog, avoid an aggressive name like Stricker or Bulldozer as it may encourage others to believe your sweet puppy is an aggressive dog.
Types Of Names To Consider
There are nine naming categories for you to consider when naming your American Bully.
This name type caters well to real animal lovers who prefer animals to humans. Animal names refer to the characteristics or adjectives of an animal. Examples include ‘Furry’, ‘Fluffy’ or ‘Chops’.
Many households like to consider their American Bully as an extension of their family so they like to use a human naming convention. Choosing any human name can treat the Bully like an extra child in the family.
If you’re a Disney buff and can’t get enough of those films you may be tempted to name your American Bully after one of your favorite films or characters. For example, ‘Aladdin’, ‘Bambi’, ‘Pinnochio’, ‘Robin’, or all common American Bully names that derive from Disney movies.
If you’re someone who just loves anything cute, you will seek out the soppiest name going for your American Bully.
Think of anything warm and cozy and you will find a cute dog name. For example, ‘Waffles’, ‘Treacle’, or ‘Pudding’ is classic cute dog names that are very popular among American Bully households.
Pop Culture Names
Those who are on top of the zeitgeist for pop culture references will likely feel inspired to use one of these references to name their American Bully.
It may be the name or character from a recent movie, song, or book. These kinds of names will be considered original as they use very topical references. Examples include ‘Buzz’ from Toy Story or ‘Frankenstein’.
Some owners simply love food and want to share this love by naming their Bully after it. The range of names here can go from the sweet to the ridiculous so just make sure you’re comfortable shouting it out in public.
Avoid ‘Spaghetti Bolognese’ or ‘Penne Arabiatta’ as they are too long and you’ll look silly. More common food names include ‘Cupcake’, ‘Peanut’ or ‘Lollipop’.
These name types truly test your creative skills. They will likely be rare so your Bully will stand out among the crowd. Examples include ‘Mowgli’, ‘Fettucini’, ‘Beethoven’ or ‘Tofu’.
It is very common for dog owners to name their dogs after their biggest sporting hero. Examples include ‘Cristiano’, ‘Leo’ or ‘Le Bron’.
Many like to live their superhero fantasies through their dog so they like to give them a name that evokes power and supernatural capability. Popular examples of this naming convention include ‘Wolverine’ ‘Namorita’ or ‘DeeDee’.
Best Bully Names
Below we compile our best names for American Bullies, split into a few categories.
Best Male American Bully Names
Male American Bullies are famous for having a great physique combined with a loyal and loving personalities. Due to their tough, genteel appearance, names that evoke power or nobility will be great for male Bullies. Some ideas are listed below.
Best Female American Bully Names
Female American Bullies display many of the same traits as male Bullies. They are known for having great stability and reliability while also having an adorable demeanor. Ideas for great female Bully names are listed below.
Best American Bully Food Names
As discussed earlier, food-based names are incredibly popular among American Bullies. Typically, food names tend to be based on sweet foods as these promote an idea of sweetness and cuteness.
But you can be completely creative with this. We advise you to stick to one-word foods otherwise it can become too long.
Hopefully, this article has given you some inspiration and insight into generating the perfect name for your American Bully.
When choosing a name, pronunciation, and understanding are key to ensuring your Bully quickly understands their name and can respond well to your commands.
Our advice is for you to be as original as possible when selecting your dog’s name. The more unique, the better and this will avoid your dog from getting mixed up with others in public spaces.
If you’re stuck, think of anything that makes you happy for inspiration. This may be a food, place, or object, and your love for this item will then be fixed on your beautiful American Bully.